Cemeteries in the Town of Lodi
The Town of Lodi is home to two cemeteries: The Old Burial Ground (or Old Lodi Cemetery) and Lodi West Cemetery.
The Old Burial Ground (or Old Lodi Cemetery)
The Old Burial Ground is located at the corner of County Route 136A (also known as Mill Street) and Halsey Lane. It was the primary cemetery used in Lodi until the establishment of the Lodi West Cemetery, though the McNeal Cemetery at the north end of Brokaw Road in the Town of Ovid was prominently used in the early 19th century.
The Old Burial Ground is home to the graves of many early settlers of the Town of Lodi. The most prominent of these settlers was Silas Halsey, a doctor who went on to hold a number of positions in local, state, and federal government. The cemetery has gravestones dating as far back as 1803.
The cemetery is small and is no longer actively used, though site upgrades occurred as recently as 2016, when an iron fence was built to protect the grave of General William Himrod, who raised a regiment to fight in the War of 1812.
The cemetery is open to the public, though the Town encourages caution and respect for the site.
Explore the Village of Lodi
West Lodi Cemetery
The West Lodi Cemetery is located at the corner of County Route 136 and Upper Lake Road in the Town of Lodi, just west of the Village of Lodi. It is the primary cemetery currently used by local residents.
Much like the Old Burial Ground in Lodi, the West Lodi Cemetery is home to the graves of some of the most prominent residents of their time, including another famous Halsey--Jehiel Howell Halsey. Son of Silas, Jehiel became a United States Congressman in 1829 after serving as Seneca County Clerk from 1819 to 1821. He was later elected to the New York State Senate and also served as town supervisor.
The West Lodi Cemetery is also home to a Civil War memorial known as "The Soldiers' Monument." Erected in 1884 by posts from the Grand Army of the Republic, the monument shows a solitary soldier standing with his musket in hand.
The cemetery is open to the public.